Will I accomplish these goals?
I was going to make this post analyzing my goals for 2018 and then setting my goals for 2019, but then I realized that I didn’t actually make any goals for 2018 so that’s coooooool. (clearly, I’m so good at blogging)
These goals are going to be a mix of blogging, bookish, and just some random life goals because I don’t think I have enough blogging/bookish goals by themselves.
stop requesting arcs when I still have arcs to read
THIS IS SUCH A HUGE PROBLEM GUYS. I END UP REQUESTING ARCS WHEN I STILL HAVE ARCS TO READ AND THEN I HAVE TOO MANY AND FEEL OVERWHELMED AND THEN START SLUMPING.
And I always talk about this problem on my blog but it’s too real and I’m so sorry to all of you actually organized bloggers for putting up with this. You’re probably screaming at me to stop and I’m screaming too
actually figure out my Instagram theme
Instagram is such a cool and amazing platform that I really want to utilize, but I just… am not very good at it. FOR SO MANY REASONS. (actually I’ve decided I’m going to write a post on why I’m bad at it)
(capitalize off of your flaws like me!)
Anyways, I… don’t really like my Instagram theme (I keep changing it ugh) and I still want to keep the white background! I’m just not a fan of how I used props in the past. Also, I don’t want to keep it 100% flatlay anymore because it can be hard to show some props. Like I recently got a fake crown and a crown?? from the top?? ISN’T AESTHETIC.
get a job
I just want money because I’m broke and I also don’t usually get money for the holidays like people my age (in the USA) usually do. My friends will be like “oh I got $100-200 for Christmas” and I’ll just sit there like cool relatable me too haha yea !
(I actually got $25 this Christmas and a $25 gift card for the amc theaters so I shouldn’t complain that much anymore lmaoo)
Anyways, I think I might do some freelancing jobs from this one article online that I found?
Also, I provide sensitivity reading services so uhhh if you need sensitivity readers you should check that out I need money thanks
read over 80 books
I only read 37 books in 2018 and honestly I’m kind of shocked because I read around 100 in 2017 and I thought that was low (for me) sooooo
I severely underestimated the time that schoolwork would take this year?? I’m going to try and manage my time better in 2019 so that I can read books more often!
read certain books
This is basically just me taking an opportunity to put a “books I need to read in 2019” post into another post because I feel like I wouldn’t have enough content for simply just “books I need to read in 2019”
A Thousand Beginning and Endings / edited by Elsie Chapman & Ellen Oh
- Okay so Jackie gifted me this for Christmas and sdfjksdfj I love her so much and I’M SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK. IT’S AN ANTHOLOGY ABOUT ASIAN FOLKLORE/MYTHOLOGY and some of my favorite authors took part in it!
American Panda / Gloria Chao
- This is about the pressure to have a good job and it just sounds like such a cute and adorable contemporary and the cover is adorable and I just !!!! want to collapse
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo / Taylor Jenkins Reid
- OKAY SO EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT THIS BOOK. LIKE ALL THE TIME. and it sounds amazing and I just need it in my life
Girl Made of Stars / Ashley Herring Blake
- THE COVER IS SO PRETTY AND ALSO THIS SOUNDS SO HEARTBREAKING AND IMPORTANT AND I REALLY NEED TO READ IT SOON. also may always talks about it
Emergency Contact / Mary H.K. Choi
- I actually met Mary H.K. Choi at BookCon last year and she was so adorable and also her makeup is AMAZING so clearly, that’s the most important thing to consider (this sounds adorable and the cover is so pretty)
The Abyss Surrounds Us / Emily Strutskie
- Elise talks about this book so often that whenever I think of this I think of her and also this is about a Chinese (!!!!) gay girl in space so
The Way You Make Me Feel / Maurene Goo
- Maurene Goo wrote I Believe in a Thing Called Love which was so cute and also ridiculous at the same time; I’m expecting this to give me the same feelings of angst and exasperation.
Sadie / Courtney Summers
- Elise talks about this book too and I’m pretty sure that the main character is queer and she narrates a podcast to find a serial killer!!! podcasts are cool so this book is cool
Rosemarked / Livia Blackburne
- OKAY THIS FEATURES A DISEASE and omg so many of these books feature diseases? why do I like pain and death so much. ANYWAYS THIS IS ASIAN SO obviously
Want / Cindy Pon
- Again, this is asian and also the cover is breathtaking
Saints and Misfits / S.K. Ali
- I want to live in the cover (that sounds weird but moving on) and also this sounds like such an important book aah
Labyrinth Lost / Zoraida Córdova
- not gonna lie, the hardcover wasn’t my favorite but the PAPERBACK IS SO BEAUTIFUL AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh
This Mortal Coil / Emily Suvada
- This is a dystopian (I think???) novel about genes and science and while I’m terrible at science, I still love it!
The Poppy War / R.F. Kuang
- I received a copy of this for bookishwish (thank you so much Ashleigh! you probably won’t see this) and I can’t believe I haven’t read it but I’m just trying to mentally prepare myself for something as heartbreaking as this?
The City of Brass / S.A. Chakraborty
- I was gifted this by May and it turns out she actually hated it so. thanks (jk!!) but anyways, this sounds so good and I’m reading it despite the hate
write at least 5k words for a wip
Remember when I actually regularly wrote for like. three weeks or something two years ago and made posts about my writing?
I really want to start writing regularly this year because I’ve always loved writing but I just. don’t have the time for it anymore which is so sad.
why? @ public school education
Anyways, 5k isn’t super high so I think that this is a pretty realistic goal
(if I fail it, I’ll be very disappointed in myself)
read more non-fiction books
I’ve been reading so much young adult, but I also want to expand the genres I read because I used to read so much nonfiction when I was a kid :’)
I used to read books like “1001 questions and answers” and “sea animals” and now… I don’t.
One of the books I want to pick up is The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and the recent Twitter controversy* has made me want to read it more because seriously. why are people throwing a fit over some advice? IT’S JUST ADVICE AND ALSO, IT’S LITERALLY “throw them away if they don’t spark joy” like how is that supposed to be an attack on book-hoarders or lovers. You’re clearly hoarding these books because they spark joy.
*In case any of you don’t know what happened, basically Marie Kondo advised people to throw away their books if they don’t spark joy, and one Twitter user reacted by saying she’s very “misguided” and that “every human needs a v extensive library” sounds classist but ok
take care of myself
Specifically, I need to fix:
I need to properly consume calcium and magnesium and zinc* and other vitamins ok. Apparently??? eating ramen??? every day isn’t healthy??????????
It would also be pretty cool if I could fix my sleeping pattern. It’s usually pretty normal on weekdays but on weekends? I start waking up at 3pm (15:00) which is wild. MY WHOLE MORNING IS GONE? I EAT BREAKFAST AT FOUR? I HAVE LIKE. EIGHT HOURS BEFORE I SHOULD GO BACK TO SLEEP?
Honestly I feel like if I had the time I would totally be able to sleep for over 12 hours which apparently um. increases your mortality risk.
*WHENEVER I STAND UP TOO FAST I GET REALLY DIZZY (which recently hasn’t been happening often but it used to happen like every day)
reach 1,000 followers
I don’t know if you guys know, but I don’t really care about stats for my blog that much anymore? I just. throw all of my thoughts into a post and hope that people like it.
IF YOU CAN TELL I DON’T REALLY CHECK MY NOTIFICATIONS BECAUSE I’M SO BAD AT REPLYING TO COMMENTS.
But it would be pretty nice to reach 1000 followers in 2019! I mean, I currently have ~600 or ~700 (I actually don’t even know how many followers I have tbh) so I think that this is a pretty achievable goal if I post regularly this year????????/////???????????????????
post regularly for at least six months
I want to have six perfect months where I post at least 6 posts for each month. You see, this would normally be a very achievable and low-reaching goal, but I have a particular quirky trait where I can’t commit.
I REALLY WANT TO ACHIEVE THIS GOAL GUYS. I ACTUALLY FEEL MOTIVATED TO BLOG AND STUFF AND I MIGHT DOWNLOAD THE WORDPRESS APP ON MY PHONE.*
*side story: one time two years ago I had the WordPress app on my phone. And I scheduled a post for 9 am when I was in school, and I didn’t turn my ringer off so my pHONE JUST WENT OFF LIKE 123 TIMES AND EVERYONE WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE SOURCE AND JUST. NO ONE THOUGHT IT WAS FROM ME FOR A SOLID TWO MINUTES BUT THEY JUST KEPT GOING OFF AND AFTER THEY IDENTIFIED THE CULPRIT (me) IT WAS SO AWKWARD BECAUSE I NEVER SAID ANYTHING
have at least 80% of the books I read be diverse
This title was worded really awkwardly.
Anyways, I want to focus on picking up more diverse books (which will probably happen naturally tbh) because there’s no reason not to and there are already so many diverse 2019 releases that I’m so excited for!
I do want to read some classics (which are primarily white lmao) soooo I’m leaving some space for that too in my percentage.
What are your goals for 2019? Did you accomplish any of your goals for 2018? What are some of your most embarrassing moments? What are some books you need to read in 2019?