Time to greet my sudden comeback to reading (after reading 5 books total in 2020) with a 17-book long TBR.
Hopefully… it all works out!
My main goal for the month of April was to basically go sicko mode while reading and guys!! I think I succeeded!! So far I’ve read 20 books in April (even though 2 were DNFs and 2 were graphic novels) so I’ve basically competed my reading challenge for 2021, which was 20 books. Should I increase the number??? MAYBE. But do I want to put pressure on myself?? Maybe not!
We don’t know!!!
But of course, I have tons of books planned for the month of May, and I’ve been using Notion to track my reading lists and it’s been pretty great. I also feel very Happy about the way I formatted my pages, so maybe one day I will write a post and show you guys them (and also possibly my Trello)??
Also, for every novel I plan on reading, I will be including representation tags with each book!
(Furthermore, I will be adding in some recommendations at the end of this post for Asian books you can read this month!!)
Anyways, I don’t have every single book on my TBR listed here, because I want to be a little more ~flexible~ with my tbr lists? And I also have like 23948 books listed there. So I really Do Not know if I’ll be able to get to all of them. I WILL ATTEMPT TO THOUGH.
- UNRELEASED (novels that haven’t released yet that I plan on reading)
- OLD ARCS (these are all of my old dusty arcs that I haven’t read yet… I am trying to be more Responsible)
- BACKLIST (books that are on the backlist I want to read!)
- GOALS (my reading goals for myself this month)
- RECOMMENDATIONS (my personal favorite Asian novels + others I would recommend)
M I N I A N N O U N C E M E N T
You may have seen, or noticed a change in my blog theme! That’s right, I decided to change my theme because honestly, I hated the fact that my previous blog theme was so skinny and I really liked this one?
However, before when I was editing my blog look, I didn’t choose this one because it doesn’t have FOOTNOTE WIDGETS and also doesn’t go all the way to the left and right (the blog header). But I ended up switching… because I really love the way the homepage is formatted.
So yes, my homepage footnote widgets are gone. (I can still technically add them, but my blog is also that Forever Scroll type so you wouldn’t be able to access them LMAO). There is no longer a search bar or archive or Easy Follow button but… I moved all of my “categories” under my Home page in the table-of-contents thing!!
I’m also going to have to change the way my featured images look (I think the aspect ratio is 2:3? I have no idea) so that it completely fits the space for my new theme. I wish I could just stick to the squares… alas… (I hope they still show up as squares on the homepage though).
I also don’t really like the way the line of text is on the right side of the screen! But beggars can’t be choosers, I guess…
U N R E L E A S E D
Luck of the Titanic by Stacey Lee
- I’ve read only one Stacey Lee book so far (Under a Painted Sky) and it was pretty good!! I’m very excited for this because I want to read more historical fiction… it’s actually one of my favorite genres, I think? (Actually I think I just like every genre lmao)
Representation: ownvoices Chinese character/s
The Ones We’re Meant to Find by Joan He
- Okay I need to know what kind of genre Wilder Girls was… because I genuinely really liked that book (will not be supporting the author though anymore!!!!!!! I just want to find other similar books) and this gives me SIMILAR VIBES. Kind of horror/post-apocalyptic/thriller-type??
- Also look how pretty this cover is. Not to expose myself for being materialistic but if there were physical arcs for this then I would have been very angry at myself not for coming back to blogging LMAO.
- I’m planning to buddy read this with May, Caitlin, and Lily!!! ❤
Representation: Japanese main characters, Chinese author
The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri
- I was able to obtain an arc of Tasha Suri’s debut, The Empire of Sand from BookCon (like a million years ago) and… I still have not read it… WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT IT.
- I honestly know literally nothing about this book but it just gives me good vibes. You know?
- Buddy reading this with a nerd on a power trip. I am genuinely scared of the number of books we are planning to buddy read over the year of 2021.
Representation: ownvoices Indian characters
O L D – A R C S
A Spark of White Fire by Sangu Mandanna
- I downloaded this when it was available for immediate download on Edelweiss, and then I regretted it. BUT RECENTLY when I came back to Twitter I saw a bunch of praise for this series??? So I’m like??? MAYBE NOT A MISTAKE AFTER ALL!
- Very excited for this Indian-mythological inspired space opera though… I don’t often read space sci-fi; it’s not one of my favorite genres, but… I am Interested.
- Buddy read with a very slow reader.
Representation: ownvoices Indian representation
Eclipse the Skies by Maura Milan
- Listen… listen… the first book in this series was one of my favorites of 2018 and then I also got a copy of the second book (WHICH HAS A GORGEOUS COVER BY THE WAY) and I just never read it. Those are called Issues, yo! I have them! Anyways hoping to rectify this Mistake.
Representation: ownvoices Chinese representation; also other people of color
We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
- I literally buddy read this with Fadwa and never finished it. LMAO.
- Anyways I received a digital review copy of this because I was on the street team, and then I just did not finish it past 20%… but then someone sent me a hardcover through #bookishwish sooooooo I NEED TO GET ON THIS ASAP. Hoping that the physical format will help me finish!
- (Here’s Fadwa’s blog review!) (And Goodreads review!)
Representation: (ownvoices?) Arabian-inspired cast; ownvoices Muslim representation
Last of Her Name by Jessica Khoury
- Jessica Khoury is an author of one of my ACTUAL FAVORITES, The Forbidden Wish, so yeah I do not know why I haven’t read this yet. I am kind of in the mood to reread it now… :’)
- Anyways, this is an Anastasia retelling in space! I honestly love the idea of Anastasia retellings and I need something really QUALITY after that mess, Romanov, that I read. (ugh)
Representation: I think white cast? But the author is Syrian
The Candle and the Flame by Nafiza Azad
- Aaaah I was sent this by Scholastic and I am very disappointed in myself for not having read it yet. I am just. SCARED and also this cover is still absolutely beautiful. I also still do not really know what this is about. Silk Road???
Representation: ownvoices Muslim representation, Middle Eastern representation
(no idea if it’s ownvoices or specificities lol)
B A C K L I S T
A Wish in the Dark by Christina Soontornvat
- Let’s be real, you probably heard about this from May, and because I guess we are May’s minions I am going to be buddy reading this with a big group of people!! Do I really know what this is about!! Not really!! I also didn’t really like the cover… but it’s growing on me…
- Buddy reading with May (who is rereading it), Kate, Melanie, Camillea, Lily, & Kal! ❤ VERY HYPED
Representation: ownvoices Thai cast
The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang
- Sigh. I don’t know why I haven’t read this yet, but I actually do know and that reason is called INTIMIDATION. I AM INTIMIDATED BY THIS BOOK. But I was gifted a copy of this through bookishwish so!!! I have the means. I just need to actually read it. AAAAH.
- Buddy reading this with Dezzy!!!
Representation: ownvoices Chinese cast
Girl Giant and the Monkey King by Van Hoang
- If there’s a Sun Wukong / Monkey King retelling, I obviously need to read it.
- Seriously though the Monkey King tale holds such a source of nostalgia for me and…………………. I’m 99% sure I used to have a crush on the Monkey King. Which is WHY I LOVED QUENTIN in The Epic Crush of Genie Lo!
- I’m not a furry, I swear.
Representation: ownvoices Chinese cast
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
- I read Everything I Never Told You by Celeste and it was brilliant, heartfelt, and also very painful to read. (the ending… I am Not okay)
- Anyways I’m positive this is Celeste’s most popular title and I’m just like !! why didn’t I read my arc copy of this before it released lmao (which I got from trading). Anyways, I literally am in love with the concept of suburban drama. I just love big drama honestly.
Representation: I think mostly white cast, but Chinese author and Chinese character (the baby)
The Magnolia Sword by Sherry Thomas
- We are not going to talk about the fact that I was rejected for an arc of this </3 but know that the day I received no response was the day that a couple of cracks appeared in my heart and yes, they are still there. There is no healing from this.
- Anyways, I’m going to attempt to get my hands on a physical copy of this at the library because I HAVE A FEELING, GUYS. I have a feeling this will be amazing and I will love it.
Representation: ownvoices Chinese representation
The Beautiful by Renée Ahdieh
- I think that Renée deserves to be placed up on an altar, somewhere visible and important, because of how amazing and beautiful The Wrath and the Dawn was. Did I like the sequel as much? No. But MY GOD WAS HER DEBUT GOOD!
- Why am I in the mood to reread The Wrath and the Dawn. Help. Also this is about vampires, which is COOL and WHATEVER most importantly I love the author!!!
Representation: Asian author of color; I think mostly white cast
The Best Lies by Sarah Lyu
- I LOVE PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLERS I don’t know why I don’t read more!!! I literally rush through them so quickly… so I am VERY excited for this one. Also that cover is very Aesthetic and I like it.
Representation: I think this has ownvoices Chinese representation!!
The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang
- I feel as though I need to ~study up~ on the history of China. So. THIS IS PRETTY IMPORTANT WITHIN THE HISTORY OF CHINA. Also I want to eventually write a novel inspired by historical China!!!
- I remember in like elementary school one of my friends was reading about this subject and I was like ??? what is this ??? and now I know that she was truly an Intellectual.
Representation: n/a lmao, but this is about Chinese history and the author is Chinese
G O A L S
- Read over half non-east Asian novels (okay. so this list only has like 7/16 non-East Asian titles, but LISTEN I have a larger list on my Notion and was not able to put down all the titles, so I just put down the ones that I feel like I will Most Likely read… I also often go off my reading list to read, so!!)
- Read 10+ books (I want to Destroy my reading challenge)
- Listen to one audiobook (I’ve been reading a lot of audiobooks while playing Tetris. highly recommend)
- Read two physical novels (I have been reading so many!! ebooks!!! I need to unmelt the brain)
- Read 1 nonfiction novel (My head is probably going to die from my exams and also reading nonfiction but we’ll see!!!)
- At least 90% Asian books (Okay. I want to read all Asian novels, but like if I really feel the urge and necessity to read a non-Asian book I’m not going to hate myself for it, you know??)
R E C O M M E N D A T I O N S
This post is getting Extremely Long so I’m not going to go into detail, but all of these novels I either rated five stars and/or they are my favorites!! So I would highly recommend these!!!
All of the covers link to either my review, if I have one, or to their Goodreads page. ❤
I would do a separate post that is completely just recommendations… but I am Lazy.
Are you also trying to read all Asian books for May and/or trying to read more Asian novels? Which of these books have you read or are excited for? What are some Asian books that you want to read, and do you have any recommendations?
Do you prefer the new look of my blog? Have you watched the Monkey King / Sun Wukong tv shows? What’s on your list for this month?